Getting Your Investigation Underway
STEP 1: DOCUMENTS & FILE SET UP
- Send us a letter of appointment outlining the matter to be investigated and detailing the Terms of Reference (ToR) for the investigation. We can provide you with a template to help you draft the ToR.
- Send us copies of any complaint material eg. Letters of complaint, any file notes taken in reference to verbal complaints or any evidence you have already collected.
- Send us copies of your relevant policies and procedures such as your Code of Conduct and grievance procedure.
- Sign and return our Service Agreement which sets out the standard of service you should expect to receive from us.
- Appoint a primary and, if possible, a secondary liaison officer. This is the person within your organisation who can help us arrange interviews and can obtain documents we request. This person is usually the HR Manager or a Senior HR Officer.
STEP 2: INVESTIGATION PLAN DRAFTED
Once we have received all of the complaint material, we will formulate an investigation plan outlining how we will approach your matter in accordance with the ToR.
STEP 3: INFORM THE RELEVANT PARTIES
You must inform the parties to the complaint/misconduct matter, that Synergy Workplace Investigations has been appointed. At this point, it may be worth considering the need to stand down the Subject Officer (employee against whom the complaint/accusation is made) to prevent further incidents or intimidation of potential witnesses. Synergy can advise you as to whether this will be necessary.
Once we have been informed that staff have been notified, we will commence the investigation.